“Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry“Colossians 3:5 KJV
Do you think the blog banner is creepy? I mean, a knife! LOL. We’re not going to be cutting ourselves. Don’t fret!
I want to briefly talk about Pterygium. Heard of it?
Pterygium is a non-cancerous, triangular growth that occurs in the eyes. Exposure to excessive amounts of ultra-violet (UV) light, environmental irritants (wind, dust etc.) have been said to be possible causes of pterygium. The growth of the pterygium can be inhibited by extrinsic factors (using of glasses to prevent UV rays from entering the eyes) & intrinsic factors (eating food with low level of cholesterol to mortify the cell and stop the growth).
I don’t want to bore you with eye stuff.
P. S: Optometry isn’t in any way boring.
The Greek word ‘Nekroo‘ means ‘to deaden‘. This was what Apostle Paul was talking about in Col. 3:5 when he said “Mortify therefore your members.”
The day you put on the new man, that day you put on Christ not carnality. Mind you, when you separate yourself from something, you have to separate yourself unto something else because you’ve probably heard that ‘there’s no vacuum in nature‘ .
How then do you Mortify your flesh?
(1) Accept God’s grace: Grace isn’t just about God’s gift to you through which you were saved. It’s also about God’s work in you to help you live above sin. By accepting His grace, you recognize the fact that you can’t do well on your own so you rely on God’s power to help you live holy.
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.Philippians 2:12-13 NIV
(2) Starve your flesh : Don’t feed your flesh with what it wants. Just like you starve the Pterygium discussed earlier to prevent further growth , starve your flesh. Mortify your flesh. If you’re dealing with masturbation, you shouldn’t watch movies with sexual scenes. You shouldn’t read erotic and romance novels.If your battling with drinking, you shouldn’t be found in a company of friends that drink.That’s what your flesh wants. Starve your flesh of those things that fed your desires before you put on Christ.
(3) Make conscious daily decisions : Conscious daily decisions to mortify your flesh! Die to your flesh daily! It’s not something that happens with the waving of a wand. It’s a daily thing!
(4) Let the Word of God dwell richly in you at all times:
As Christians, the ultimate goal is to become more like Christ. You can’t become more like a person without getting to know them or communing with them, yeah ?
The Word of God (Bible) tells you about Christ. The more you study it, the more you get to know about Him and suddenly, you look like Him.
(5) Rely on the Holy Spirit’s power: You probably don’t know how much power is on your inside. It’s able to quicken your mortal bodies (Rom. 8:11). That power residing in you is the Holy Spirit’s power and He will help you live above sin and your fleshy desires. (Gal. 5:16) Surrender to Him!
Pastor Laju Iren gave an analogy. She said, “imagine you were assured of never being expelled from a school. Do you go around doing nothing or walking naked because of that assurance? No, you don’t! Instead that assurance should give you the confidence to do the right thing – to study more and all of that. “
Don’t think because you believe Jesus, you can now do as you please or do nothing at all saying “after all, eternity is assured.” You don’t sit back and let your flesh be master over you. Instead you show it who’s boss and that the Holy Spirit’s got your back !
I hope you were inspired. Please share to someone who needs to see this and I’ll like to hear from you in the comment section.
Song of the week:
New Creation by Outburst Music Group https://youtu.be/B5DMIAesgJ8
Don’t think because you believe Jesus, you can now do as you please or do nothing at all saying “after all, eternity is assured.”Tweet
As Christians, the ultimate goal is to become more like ChristTweet
Grace isn’t just about God’s gift to you through which you were saved. It’s also about God’s work in you to help you live above sin.Tweet
Leave a Reply