You’ve probably seen my article on how to keep yourself from going back to your vomit , if not, click here
Temptation is something that causes a strong urge or desire to have or do something and especially something that is bad, wrong, or unwise. I believe this definition already sells off the idea of our topic of discussion. Here are 3 reasons you should not give in to temptation :
- Giving in to every fleshly desire leads to slavery ( 2 Pet. 2:19). The more you give in, the deeper you go. This is because sin brings about death (not physical) and as said earlier, slavery – both of which are not pleasant.
- You get something different It may seem as if, when you give in, you’ve got nothing to lose but truth is, you have everything to lose. You lose your peace, your joy, you might feel empty, you could harm yourself and those around you , you lose communication with God if you do not truly repent . ( P. S : I said truly, because most times, we go back to our sins after promising not to anymore). You could even get a bonus package – something you didn’t even bargain for just like Adam and Eve did.
- Jesus can totally relate ( Heb. 4:15-16) Have you ever been in a situation where you tried explaining what was going on with you to a friend , but they just didn’t get it? How did you feel? Frustrated yeah? Well, from the text above, we see that Jesus, our High Priest can totally relate with us. He was human too and was tempted but didn’t succumb to the temptations (Matt 3:1-11).
Mind you, you’ll keep dancing to sin’s tunes especially when you don’t fill up the space you just emptied with something else. So, it’s not just enough to get rid of sin or the fuel of the temptation. You have to fill in the gap.
- Feed on God’s Word to renew your mind.
- Tell a trusted Spirit – filled believer
- Flee from every appearance of evil(1 Thess. 5:22, 2 Tim. 2:22). The word ‘flee‘ implies something active not passive. Remove yourself physically from all situations that stirs the desire to sin.
- Trust God. Truth is you can’t help yourself. Yield to God and ask for His help while making conscious efforts to stay clear of the source of temptation.
Why else shouldn’t we give in to temptations? What other steps do you take when you’re in a really tempting situation? I’ll really like to hear from you. Thanks for reading and don’t forget to share to others.
You’ll keep dancing to sin’s tunes especially when you don’t fill up the space you just emptied with something else.Click to Tweet
Leave a Reply